Patent Registration is basically a process to file an application to register your invention under Patent Act. It provides you with the monopoly to use your invention for public.
Documents Required for patent filing in India
- Application form in duplicate (Form 1).
- Provisional or complete specification in duplicate. If the provisional specification is filed, it must be followed by the complete specification within 12 months.(Form 2).
- Drawing in duplicate (if necessary).
- Abstract of the invention in duplicate.
- Information & undertaking listing the number, filing date & current status of each foreign patent application in duplicate (Form 3).
- Priority document (if priority date is claimed) in convention application, when directed by the Controller
- Declaration of inventor-ship where provisional specification is followed by complete specification or in case of convention/PCT national phase application (Form 5).
- Power of attorney (if filed through Patent Agent).
- Fees (to be paid in cash/by cheque/by demand draft)
Form 1: Application for Grant of Patent
- name and address of the inventor(s),
- name and address of the applicant(s),
- Information corresponding to prior patent applications relating to the current invention, which you or any authorized entity has filed, and
- some declarations, among other information.
Form 2: Provisional / Complete Specification
Form 2 is used to furnish your patent specification. It may be provisional or a complete patent specification depending of the type of patent application you are filing.
Form 3: Statement and Undertaking under Section 8
Form 3 is used to furnish information relating to patent applications filed in other countries for the current invention. You would undertake that you will be keeping the patent office informed in writing the details regarding corresponding applications for patents filed outside India.
Form 5: Declaration as to Inventorship
This application is used to declare the inventors of the current patent application.
Form 26: Power of attorney (if filed through Patent Agent)
Form 26 is used to assign the power of attorney to the patent agent to deal with the patent application, correspondence and communication on your behalf.